
I love the Twilight series of books, the movies are campy and cheesy and I really liked the first one. New Moon I liked for the most part, but something plagued me throughout the movie- Why is Bella so sad and pathetic? Why is she so dependent on having a boyfriend in her life to fulfill her? I thought this when reading the books as well, but not as much. Luckily I was able to see most of the Twilight series through the eyes of a teenage girl when they came out, and this is the audience that they were written for- YA, so we have to remember that. To explain, I was a school Librarian up until last year. The January before last, I decided to focus my 8th grade book club around the Twilight series, and I had never had such a big turnout for book club- all girls of course! We discussed Bella in detail, and you'd be surprised to know that teenage girls also get a little frustrated with how pathetic and brooding her character becomes in New Moon. So don't worry, give our YA readers a little credit, they too see the inherent mistakes in Bella's personality, and it bugs them too. I will see this movie again, and can't wait to see Eclipse next!
No comments:
Post a Comment